Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

When you've lost all your memoirs of the past 4 years, you learn to start over and become a new you.
Memories of a Teenage Amnesiac

Rescue

Pride of Orange. Super Rangers are the ones that are called when things have went from bad to worse. When there are no other options. They are the elite of the rescue crews. Risking their lives in order to save yours.
Rescue

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

Learning to love yourself is probably the hardest lesson to learn. Sometimes it takes encouragement from unlikely sources to teach you that lesson.
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

Liar Game

A game built on deception. A con-artist with a kind heart and a innocent girl who trusts you even when you've betrayed her, make for an unstoppable team.
Liar Game

Death Note

If you had the power to kill just by picturing a person and writing their name down in a notebook, who would you target? Would it be considered a crime to kill off all the criminals in the world?
Death Note

Code Blue

An elite team of doctors that travel via helicopter to get to the scene of the accident even a second faster in order to have a better chance at saving lives.
Code Blue

1 Litre of Tears/Ichi Rittou no Namida

Photobucket

1 Litre of Tears starring Sawajiri Erika, Nishikido Ryo and co-starring Yakushimaru Hiroko, Jinnai Takanori, Fujiki Naohito and Narumi Riko.


Based on the diary of Kito Aya (b. July 19, 1962 - d. May 23, 1988).

Photobucket

Ikeuchi Aya at 15 years old had her whole life to look forward to. Entering her first year of high school she became the star player on her basketball team. Her life was just beginning. Then one day, while walking to school, she stumbles and falls. Unable to catch herself, she hits the road face first. Luckily for Aya, she wasn't far from home and her mother and father we still outside. Afraid that Aya would get an infection, Aya's mother Shioka rushes her to the hospital.

Worried that something more might be wrong with Aya (normally one would try to put their hands out to catch their fall... Aya didn't) she asks the doctors to run extra test on her to find out. They find that Aya has developed Spinocerebellar Ataxia, a disease that causes the person to lose control over their body but because the person can retain all mental ability the disease acts as a prison. In the end the person will lose the ability to walk, talk, eat and eventually will not be able to wake from sleep.

Hoping there is a mistake, Shioka asks opinions of other doctors specializing in Neurology but in the end, there was no mistake. Shioka decides to hide the truth from Aya in hopes of a cure being found soon and not having to worry her daughter.

Aya knows something is wrong with her. She knows her parents are keeping the truth from her. Aya searches the internet at school for diseases that have the same symptoms as her and finds links on Spinocerebellar Ataxia. Now faced with the truth, Aya must learn to face the fact that her body is slowly falling apart.

The story of Aya isn't just about a young girl with a disease. It's about what you do with your life when you know you don't have long to life. Do you just give up and wait to die? Or do you fight with everything you have to make what little life you have worth living? Aya has strength and courage that most people couldn't even dream of. Even as her disease progresses and it gets harder and harder for her to manage every day tasks, Aya fights on.

If you had a day, a week, a month, a year or ten years left to live wouldn't you want to live that time with everything you have? Spend every moment living life the best you can!
I cried so much during this drama. With it being based off of someone's life, it hits a little harder than something that was made up.

Here is a fan made video with clips from the drama. The song is called Konayuki by Remioromen. It is an insert song for Aya and Asou-kun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I did not know that it is based on a real life story. I started watching this anime twice but left in the middle of the first episode. I knew that it was a sad story, so I did not want to watch it. After I watched this little video I regretted.

Sure, I am sad for the girl and amazed by her hope and courage, but I worried more about the boy in the video. I don't know the story, but if the girl tried to make the boy fall in love even though she knew that she would die soon, I think she acts really selfish. It looks like they even got married! Poor guy *sigh*

It story closely reminded me of "A walk to remember" American movie - with Mandy Moore. The story is almost the same, but she says "don't fall in love with me" from the start and does her best to let him be. I really liked that movie.

What would you do?

DB

Vikki said...

Actually, Aya doesn't try to make Asou-kun fall in love with her. She actually tried pushing him away a few times and he wouldn't let her go. They start off as friends. He treats her like a normal person and never as a girl with a disease and when she is with him she almost feels like a normal girl again even though deep down she knows she isn't.

You should watch the show. It is a sad one, very sad. You'll probably cry a lot. I know I did. I kept tissue by me at all times just in case.

There are fan made translations of Kito Aya's diary going around on the internet. I've read a bit of it and so far, it hasn't mentioned a love interest yet so I'm not even sure if they just add on to the drama to make it that much more dramatic or if Asou-kun really did exist for Aya. I'll keep you posted on that when I get more into the diary.

As far as what I would do if I had a life threatening disease. I would want to live as normally as possible. Live my life to the fullest. I would want to experience the feeling of loving someone and being loved by someone as well. Even though it wouldn't last, it would be more cruel to deny the possibility of making a difference in someone's life... Like Aya did for Asou-kun. If you watch the drama you'll understand what I mean by that.

Anonymous said...

I see. Thanks!

I've found the diary too(http://www.seraphim.my/aya/index.htm)

I just need some spare time and lots of tissue now :)

DB

Post a Comment